In memory of the fallen heroes
The park is named after the Panfilov Division, 28 hero soldiers who single-handedly stopped the advance of fascist tanks on Moscow during the Second World War. The words of the permanent political instructor of the division Vasily Klochkov: “Russia is vast, but there is nowhere to retreat. Moscow is behind us!” are inscribed in every Soviet history textbook and still touch the hearts.
Nine historical names
The park was founded in the seventies of the XIX century on the territory of the old cemetery, which was connected to the territory of the cathedral and called the “City Garden”. In the first half of the twentieth century, the park managed to be the “Pushkin Garden”, “Park of Fallen Fighters”, “Park named after Lenin”, “Gubkompomarm Garden”, “Public Park on May 1”, “Park of the Federation of Soviet Republics”… It received its current name only in 1942 and still retains it.
The real life of the park
Now on the territory of the park are located the famous Ascension Cathedral, the monument to Panfilov Heroes, the Eternal Flame, the Museum of Kazakh folk musical instruments, the Artichoke Theater and several restaurants. During the day in the park, you can ride ponies, feed pigeons and just have a nice walk along coniferous alleys and mysterious shady paths.