The building “without a single nail”
The absence of nails in the building is, of course, a legend, but many building technologies have actually been tested on it for the first time. For example, reinforced concrete structures, wood preservatives, and forced-air and exhaust ventilation systems. But the biggest innovation of that time was the construction of an earthquake-resistant high-rise building (41.5 m). Considering the results of the devastating earthquake of 1887, this technology was an architectural breakthrough!
Home to many things
Храм был построен в 1907 году и по своему прямому назначению работал только первые 20 лет. Под контролем антирелигиозной The temple was built in 107 and it was only used for its intended purpose during the first 20 years. Since 1929, under the control of the anti-religious Soviet power, the building was transferred for public purposes. Even the bell tower was useful as an antenna from which the first radio broadcasts were transmitted to the city of Alma-Ata. In 1976 a large-scale restoration was carried out, and in 1985 a concert and exhibition pavilion was located in the cathedral. The temple was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church only in 1995.
The present life of the cathedral
Now the church is active and belongs to the Astana and Almaty dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church. There are regular services in the cathedral, and there is a Sunday school and consultations with the parish psychologist. The building is included in the list of monuments of history and culture of Kazakhstan of republican significance.