House in the center of events
The building is located on the edge of the «Old Square», the place where all major urban festivals, concerts, flash mobs and other events are held. The majestic building with large pillars is surrounded by fountains on all sides and it leaves a lasting impression. Before, the Government House and Akimat of the Almaty region used to be there, and now this is where the Kazakh-British University is located.
Between pages of history
The project of this building was developed in 1938, but its construction began only after the Second World War, in 1946, and lasted as much as 9 years. The building housed the Supreme Council, the Council of Ministers and the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Kazakh SSR, but in 1980 all government organizations moved into the building at the New Square. After that, the Akimat of the Almaty region was located there and only after 2001 the University moved to the building.
The Legend of the Fountains
The squares near this building are one of the newlywed’s favorite places to take a walk. Perhaps, this is the origin of the belief that if a bride in a wedding dress runs between the streams of a northern fountain without soaking the dress, then the marriage will be strong and the couple will be forever faithful to each other. We do not know how much of this is true, but seeing a wedding near this building is definitely a good sign.