In 1904, residents of the southwestern part of the city of Vernoye, an area that was called Kuchuguri at that time, appealed to the Bishop of Turkestan and Tashkent Paisii with a request to give permission to find funds and collect donations for the construction of a church on Zubovskaya Square in this part of the city. On February 13, 1906, Andrey Pavlovich Zenkov, the executor of Verny’s technical projects. On December 14, 1908, the new church of the city of Verny, designed by architect S.K. Troparevsky, was consecrated in honor of St. Nicholas. Father Alexander Skalsky was appointed rector of this church.
Architecturally, the building is a seven-headed temple, in the shape of a ship, with high arches and a bell tower and azure domes. Soon after the consecration of the St. Nicholas Church, a particle of the holy relics of the Great Martyr Panteleimon was delivered from the St. Panteleimon Monastery on Mount Athos. At about the same time, a particle of the holy relics of the Great Martyr Barbara was delivered from Kiev. Both of these relics are kept in the temple to this day. In 1918, Bishop Pimen (Belolikov) of Vernensky and Semirechensk was shot, after which the Alma-Ata pulpit remained empty until 1927. At the end of the 20s and in the 30s, when there was a transfer point of the GPU in Alma-Ata, the St. Nicholas Church found
A Cross of Worship was erected near the temple – in memory of the victims of repression. In the same year, by the Decision of the Akim of Almaty dated November 28, 1995 No. 63 “On the inclusion of St. Nicholas Cathedral in the State list of historical and cultural monuments of the city of Almaty of local significance”, the building was included in the list of protected by the state. In 1991, the first Sunday School enrollment was organized. In 2010, a new Sunday School building was consecrated. In 2012, a monument to St. Nicholas was erected in front of the cathedral.