June 1, 1946 the solemn opening of the Academy of Sciences of the Kazakh Soviet Socialist Republic took place.
Its creation was greatly assisted by great scientists: V. Vernadsky, L. Berg, L. Gumilev, N. Mandelstam, V. Fesenkov, G. A. Tikhov - during the Great Patriotic War evacuated to Kazakhstan.
The first president of the Academy of Sciences of the Kazakh SSR was the outstanding scientist, geologist Kanysh Imantaevich Satpaev. It was he who developed the forecast map of the minerals of our country and became the first Kazakh academician.
The building of the Academy of Sciences was built in 1957 and is a monument of history and architecture. The author of the project is the architect A.V. Shchusev (among his landmark works Lenin's mausoleum in Moscow). The monumental structure (at the intersection of Valikhanov and Shevchenko streets) is the center of a town-planning ensemble and has a three-axis composition: a monument, a portal and adjoining buildings.
On the main axis, parallel to the central building, greened cascades with fountains (authorship of architects N. Ripinsky and V. Tolmachev) are broken and a monument to Sh. Valikhanov (sculptor K. Nauryzbayev) is installed. On the east side there is a monument to the bust of AS Pushkin (sculptor A. Bichugov) and the fountain "Signs of the Zodiac" (architect V. Katsev, sculptors V. Tverdokhlebov, A. Tatarinov)
Currently, the building of the Academy of Sciences operates the complex "White Orders", which includes the Central Scientific Library, the association of 18 scientific research organizations and museums of nature, archeology, the history of Kazakhstan science, rare manuscripts.