The former building of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the Kazakh SSR was built in 1937 by the architects M. D. Shugal and V. V. Biryukov.
Monumental structure, towering on one of the busiest avenues of the city. During the Soviet period, the highest legislative body of Kazakhstan, the Presidium of the Supreme Council of KazSSR, worked here for a long time.
Three-story L-shaped structure plays a major role in the ensemble of the central district of the city. The corner part of the building is accented by a portico of 4 columns and a side pylon. The parapet is decorated with a relief image of the first pre-war five-year plans, a symbol of labor and military valor (sculptor A. Kroshin). Such ornamentation of the parapet in town-planning practice of Alma-Ata was applied for the first time and became an easily recognizable feature of the building. Here you can see a Soviet tank T-26, a Red Army man with a three-line rifle, muscular collective farmers with baskets filled with gifts of nature. The work was carried out in line with socialist realism.
At present, the Almaty Finance Department is located in the building.